Opened by Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki, HM Queen Sofia of Spain, HRH Princess Máxima of The Netherlands, and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Muhammad Yunus, delegates from around the world discussed microfinance and its relation to the environment, agriculture, and health with a strong focus on empowering the world’s poorest families, especially the women of those families.
Sam Daley-Harris challenged delegates to change our way of thinking. He said, “The technical side of microfinance is important, but only if it serves the transformational dimension…[to effect] redemption that restores peoples’ honor and worth” and sets them free.
Delegates discussed the importance of:
- Supportive regulatory environment for MFIs
- Tools for greater outreach to rural areas and urban slums
- New technology to increase efficiency and decrease costs
- African and Middle East practitioners to commit to the goals of Campaign
What Delegates Said
- “Topics of plenaries and workshops very relevant. Excellent panelists and good representatives from Africans as well as westerners. This is very important!”
- “Sessions were so educative and they made people know more innovative ways to fight poverty.”
- “The Jamii Bora presentation and success is a sure example that we in Microfinance can do something for the urban poor even in better in their living environments.”
Share Your Pictures from the Summit
Campaign staff took hundreds of photos. What about you? Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the Microcredit Summit Campaign PhotoBucket public album at http://photobucket.com/AMERMS_2010.
Notice: By posting your photos to this public album, you give the Microcredit Summit Campaign permission to use your photos in our materials. MCS will credit you and/or your institution.
Goal: 175 million of the poorest receiving credit for self-employment and other needs
Submit your Institutional Action Plan (IAP) to be included in the 2011 State of the Campaign Report! Download your IAP here: http://www.microcreditsummit.org/submit_institutional_action_plan/
Direct your questions related to IAP submission to Sabina Rogers, Program Manager for the State of the Campaign Report, at email@example.com.