The Microcredit Summit Campaign welcomes ESAF Microfinance as the 57th organization to make a Campaign Commitment. ESAF joins a global coalition to help 100 million families lift themselves out of extreme poverty. ESAF will help support their clients in uplifting themselves from poverty by providing them with education, training, and support services.
ESAF and the Campaign strongly believe that microfinance services should be complemented by education, training, and other supporting programs that help poor families battle chronic poverty and social exclusion. For example, in partnership with the Campaign, ESAF trained community health workers (Arogya Mithras in Hindi) to provide health education and front-line screening services for non-communicable diseases to poor communities. You can learn about that project in “Integrating Health with Microfinance: Community Health Workers in Action.”
For the financial year 2015-2016, ESAF Microfinance aims to reach out to new clients through its products and services, committing to the following:
- To offer microfinance services to 200,000 new clients through expanding the geographic reach in some of the backward states of Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, and Bihar.
- To increase the reach of financial services to an additional 10% of clients, making it to a total of 50% of clients who belong to socially backward communities/tribes (scheduled castes and scheduled tribes as per government of India)
- To offer livelihood support services to at least 10,000 clients who shall be in a position to contribute to the income of their household.
- To measure the poverty levels of 200,000 clients using PPI.
- To offer financial literacy training to at least 50,000 clients.
- To offer health education and awareness sessions to at least 50,000 clients and to offer health check-up services to benefit at least 5,000 clients.
- To offer financial and non-financial services to at least 3,000 PWD (persons with disabilities) clients.
- To offer women’s leadership and empowerment programs to benefit at least 50,000 clients.
- To reach at least 2,000 children through educational programs for academic growth and value education.
- Educate at least 50,000 clients on environment protection and use of clean energy products.
Chairman and managing director, K. Paul Thomas, explains why their commitment includes a number or programs addressing multiple aspects of the client’s life such as health:
“ESAF’s vision and mission very clearly emphasize on holistic transformation of its poor clients,” he said, “and, we are convinced this cannot be achieved unless their health issues are addressed.”
ESAF Microfinance is one of the premier microfinance institutions in India today, particularly in Kerala, effectively empowering 750,000 members through 160 dedicated branches. The founder of ESAF ventured into microfinance in 1995, by organizing self-sustainable groups, to alleviate poverty and generate employment. Since then, ESAF has grown by leaps and bounds in the microfinance sector, promoting microfinance as a viable, sustainable, and effective means for creating jobs and reducing poverty.
Read the Commitment Letter from ESAF Microfinance.
The Microcredit Summit Campaign looks forward to welcoming our new partners to the global coalition and sharing their progress towards the Commitment achievement at the 18th Microcredit Summit. The Campaign’s 100 Million Project is building a movement among financial service stakeholders committed to helping to end extreme poverty through: public statements of commitment to action, expanding practices to reliably measure movement out of extreme poverty, and promoting innovations and best practices to accelerate movement out of poverty.
We invite you to join ESAF Microfinance and…
Get Inspired. Set a Goal. Make a Commitment.
Join the movement to help 100 million families lift themselves out of extreme poverty:
- State your Campaign Commitment by filling out the Online Commitment Form or by contacting us at mycommitment[at]microcreditsummit.org
- Need inspiration or additional guidance in formulating your own Campaign Commitment? Refer to our Commitment Development Toolkit or look at all Campaign Commitments
- Be social with us on Facebook and Twitter (@MicroCredSummit) using the hashtag #Commit100M or #endextremepoverty